Thursday, March 24, 2011

Almost Training Time

I am planning to officially train for 8-9 weeks for the Boston Run to Remember Half Marathon at the end of October.  So that means I will start this Monday or the Monday after. I haven't decided on an official "plan" yet.  I've been researching a lot and I know I definately need to have a long run, tempo run, and speed work.  I haven't really followed a training plan to the T either time I've trained for a half, but because I really really want to PR I think I will need to be more serious this time around.  I also haven't done any track/speed workouts since high school.  So that should be interesting.  Although I am EXCITED to start doing them.  I love the feeling after pushing really really hard.  Once I decide on an exact plan I will be sure to post it up here.

I have barely gotten the chance to run during this long New England winter.  Last week was the only consistent week so far. Shawn works long hours and my girls are not big fans of the cold.  I've been keeping fit mainly using workouts from bodyrock.tv.  I have mentioned that site already and I definately will again because I love those workouts, they are quick, intense, and really concentrate on interval training and functional conditiong.  I am a big fan of both.  I will continue doing those workouts 4-6 days a week with my half training.  I have also been doing stairs, high knees, jumping jacks, and using my inviscible jump rope (seriously) to get in a little extra cardio.  Oh ya and I throw in a little Jillian(Michaels) every now and again too.  I feel like all of this has really helped me keep in great shape...oh ya and I can do more push-ups than ever before. boo ya.

I will now leave you with my favorite exercise (I'll even do one and pretend you can see me)  and a couple of recipes.

Favorite Exercise:  Full Burpee with Push-up
  • Stand with feet together hip distance apart
  • Lower your body to the floor
  • Quickly punch your legs back behind you into a push-up position
  • Perform a push-up
  • Then, draw you legs back underneath your hips and explode upward in the air
  • Land with your knees soft and immediately go into your next repetition
Reason I love 'em:  They work your entire body and give you a little cardio boost.

I made these yummy carrot waffles for my girls for breakfast this week and they have eaten them the past couple days.  I think they would even be better with a scoop of vanilla protein powder.

Carrot Cake Waffles

1 Cup flour
1/2 Cup of oats
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 heaping teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 Cup of grated/pureed carrot ( I used pureed baby food carrots.ha)
1/4 Cup applesauce
1/4  Cup maple syrup
1/4 Cup of milk (I used vanilla soymilk)
2 tbs flax combined with 6 Tablespoons of water (or 1/4 C of egg whites)

Combine it all, cook, and enjoy with some pure maple syrup or a little whipped cream!

What is your favorite exercise?

1 comment:

  1. carrot cake waffles sound so good!! i'm going to have to try them! and those full burpees with push ups look like they'd really work you - i'll try those too! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete