Sunday, April 3, 2011

Above and Beyond Running

So I started this post SEVERAL days ago, but then my daughter went ahead and turned FOUR on April 1st and well life got in the way.  So, here's her at her Birthday Party:OAnd now I will continue with my post from the other day.  :)

Of course I love running, you've seen me write about it a lot and share my goals with you.   But, I think there is a lot more that goes in to being a good runner than JUST running.  Of course you need to keep up with your mileage, temp runs, long runs, and speed work (something I'm just beginning.)  What else do you need to do you ask?  Well let me tell you.

Strength Training
Yes, strength training will definately improve your running.  Why?  Because you use so many different muscles in your body when you run, especially your legs and core.  Do you need to spend hours in the gym?  Nah.  You can if you want to, but I recommend you find somthing you enjoy and can stick with.  For me its lots of short intense interval training, lots of body weight workouts, and functional conditioning.  I like to do workouts that target your entire body.  And I like to change things up a lot. I get many of my workouts from bodyrock.tv.  I will share with you one of my favorites. 

300 Rep Workout(from bodyrock.tv)

This workout is a time challenge, so you complete it is quickly as you can.  You can keep your time so that you can compete against your own time every time you do it.  They also have a 550 Rep workout that I love too!
  • 1) Side Lunge Knee Tuck (left leg)30 reps
  • 2) Side Lunge Knee Tuck (right leg)30 reps
  • 3) Plank Jump Push Up & Roll Over30 reps
  • 4) Side Crunch 15 reps on each side
  • 5) Sandbag Swing 15 reps on each arm
  • 6) Pull Ups 30 reps
  • 7) 1-2-3 Up One Leg Half Squat15 reps on each leg
  • 8) Hanging Knee Raises30 reps
  • 9) 3 low jacks & Jump Up30 reps
  • 10) Triple Knee Tuck & Side Step Push Up30 reps
Nutrition
Another super important component is the fuel you put in your body.  I don't only think eating healthy is important to improving your running, but also to improving you overall quality of life.  It is important to eat the right foods before you set out on a run or a race, but I think its important ALL the time.  Does this mean I don't think anybody should ever indulge?  Heck no.  I believe in moderation.  I'm not about to go into a big lecture about healthy eating, so take a deep breath.  I just think its helps to be aware.  So, just think about it, what are YOU eating?  Do you feel good about it?  If you have a tough time eating good, make small changes.  Focus on drinking water instead of sugary drinks, replace all your grains with whole grains, increase your protein, try and eat x number of vegetables per day.  Don't do it all at once, just remember small changes can have a big impact.

I'll share with you a typical day for me:
meal 1: 1 TBS Peanut butter and half a banana on low carb/high protein pita pocket.

meal 2: Green Monster Smoothie (scoop of protein powder, 2 cups of spinach, half a banana, 1/2 C soymilk, 1/2 Cup of water, 1/2 plain greek yogurt, 1 TBS ground flax, sprinkle of cinnamon and a few ice cubes)

meal 3: An omelette with 1 egg, 2 whites, 1/4 C salsa, 1/4 black beans, spinach, mushrooms, avocado, and a sprinkle of 2% chz.

meal 4: One of my Homemade Granola Bars.

meal 5: 4 oz meat, fish, poultry with a salad and light dressing with a side of broccoli or spinach (or some other veggie) and maybe a small sweet potato.

meal 6: Protein shake with 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 tbs pb, 1 tbs cocoa, 1/2 plain greek yogurt, 1 cup of water, and a few ice cubes.

I don't expect anyone to eat the same way as me (and I don't eat the same things everyday), but its a good base to get some ideas from. :)

Attitude

“If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.”

William Arthur Ward

Believe it, if you think you can, you can.  If you don't, than you won't.  Its true that hard work plays a big role, but even if you work hard if you don't believe in yourself, it won't happen.  Think big, dream big, work hard.  You'll get there.  Need a cheerleader?  Ask me, I'll believe in you and you'll believe in me.  We'll make big things happen.  As Nike would say..."Just Do It".  I'm going to!


What is your biggest goal?

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday Devin! So freaking adorable!

    When I read this post I see balance. Great job! I am interested in trying the 300 rep workout. After my May marathon, I am excited to focus more on fitness AND running!

    Great job Erin!

    ReplyDelete