Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Stroller Training Runs

Yesterday was my first offical run with the stroller since the fall.  Now that stroller also comes fully loaded with 60lbs of cute little girls (plus whatever it weights itself). 
Here's an older photo of my little cuties ready for a run. (they look thrilled don't they)

Its not ever easy to run with the stroller, it always feels like a great workout no matter the distance I go.  Yesterday was almost torture though, for the following reasons:

1. I haven't run a whole lot over the winter (more on what I HAVE been doing later).
2.  I live on dirt roads and they were muddy.  VERY muddy. 
3.  I realized once I got toward the end of the road that one of my tires was almost flat.
4.  Take all of those other factors and add in the hills.  I live in a super hilly area.

As much as it sucked, I can't wait to get back at it again.  I am pretty sure those hilly stroller runs are the reason I ran my half as quickly as I did.  Of course my long runs are important too.  But those are EASY compared to my stroller runs.  My stroller runs are hardly ever over 3-4 miles.  The girls don't tend to last much longer than that (even fully stocked with snacks and drinks).  Thats fine though, I can save longer runs.  Besides I tell myself its really like I ran more miles than that because of the added weight. :)  Maybe you don't have kids to push in a stroller, well go borrow some.  HA, I'm kidding.  Just get out there and run some HILLS.  I promise it will help you run a faster race (especially if its a flat course).  There's my training tip for the day. :)

I made some DELICIOUS homemade granola bars with my two favorite little bakers a couple days ago and I want to share the recipe and some pictures.  I forgot to plug in my phone so I'll be be back later on with a recipe you will definately want to give a try!

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more! I usually do 3 miles but i've done as long as 7 with Colton napping in the stroller. That's how I ended up hurting my foot - i think it had something to do with the way I kept switching from hand to hand and shifting my weight around, at least that's what i'm blaming it on. I love it though, it's definitely a GREAT workout.

    ReplyDelete